Physical activity can also help you reduce stress, control your blood pressure, prevent or control diabetes, and maintain a healthy body weight.
Most people can reduce their risk of stroke by being physically active. As a person with stroke, you will have to work with your doctor, physical therapist, and other members of your stroke rehabilitation team to decide what sort of activities you can safely do and how hard you should exercise. The following video highlights the numerous benefits of exercise.
- Here are some additional resources that can help you get moving:
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada: Time to Get Moving: 10 Minutes to Change Your Life
- Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines
- Fitness and Mobility Exercise Program
- Graded Repetitive Arm Supplementary Program
- Stroke Recovery Association of British Columbia: Exercise and Mobility Video
- Together in Movement & Exercise: Exercise and Wellness Videos for People with Mobility Challenges