EAT A HEALTHY, LOW-FAT DIET
The basic rule of eating a healthy diet is to follow Canada’s Food Guide to Healthy Eating. The Food Guide recommends that you:
- Enjoy a variety of foods
- Emphasize cereals, breads, other grain products, vegetables and fruit
- Choose lower fat dairy products, leaner meats, and foods prepared with little or no fat
- Limit the amount of fat and trans fats in your diet
- Limit your use of salt, alcohol and caffeine
- No more than 20% to 35% of your total daily calories should come from fat. This is about 45 to 75 grams of fat per day for a woman and about 60 to 105 grams per day for a man. Whenever possible, eat polyunsaturated fat, especially omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fats. Reduce the amount of saturated and trans-fat in your diet.